Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2016

"ROCKING" our first few weeks of school

We just completed our first full week of school!!!  I'm sure there are many feelings that accompany these kids as they enter a new grade and I'll let you in on a little secret....teachers get nervous as well.  :)  I always like to start the school year with some light hearted fun, addressing all those emotions and reinforcing that it is all going to be okay.  There are SEVERAL great back to school children's books that meet this goal.  One of my favorites is Pete the Cat.  We got both classes together and put Pete the Cat, Rockin' in My School Shoes on the Smartboard.  Afterwards they colored their headband pieces and awards for their first full day of school.  Here are some pictures.  





The Kindergartners also met their 8th grade buddies.  They buddy up with these older kids during school masses, school events--such as book fairs,  the rummage sale, etc.  We do several crafts and projects with them throughout the school year as well.  It is always great to see the bonds between them!  Below is a Kindergartner walking with her buddies to the annual "Mass on the Grass" to kick off the new school year.  I love our new class shirts which you can see in the picture. 





We are working on counting and writing numbers 1-5 in Math.  This day we counted and filled our ten frames with a given number.  





We are working on our alphabet.--Many aspects such as letter recognition, letter sounds and ABC order.  Here we are working on placing the alphabet on our sentence strips in ABC order.  


To my fellow educators out there, this is the first year I tried this, and I LOVE it--a "table trash" bin.  We use this when we are cutting a project, so we don't have to get up several times to throw away scrap paper.  I like how it's working out so far.  It's the little things, right?!?  :)


1 comment: